GROWING GREEN CITIES
The theme of Floriade Expo 2022 – “Growing Green Cities” – is designed to raise awareness of the importance of sustainability and the future challenges it will pose in urban environments. The Floriade Expo’s aims are modelled on the UN Sustainable Development Goals (or SDG for short), which correspond with the German sustainability strategy. There is a particular focus on these seven goals:
- End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture. (SDG 02)
- Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all. (SDG 06)
- Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all. (SDG 07)
- Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation. (SDG 09)
- Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable. (SDG 11)
- Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns. (SDG 12)
- Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts. (SDG 13)
The world population has now reached more than seven billion people. More than 50 per cent of them live in cities and it is forecast that this figure will have risen to almost 70 per cent by 2050. Since urbanisation is continuing relentlessly, it’s vital to find ways to ensure cities remain healthy, liveable and attractive places to live. This is the only way in which sustainable growth can be guaranteed.
In this context, four subthemes have been developed for Floriade Expo 2022: Green, Food, Health and Energy. The national and international participants will present their individual challenges and solutions to at least one of these subthemes at the international horticultural exhibition.